‘I put up a fight but he deserved to win,’ says Novak Djokovic after Aslan Karatsev defeat
Aslan Karatsev deserved to beat Novak Djokovic in Belgrade, the world number one has admitted after their superb match on Saturday.
Karatsev and Djokovic played out an three-and-a-half hour epic at the Serbia Open, with the Russian saving 23 break points before wrapping up a 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 win.
It was a second surprise defeat in two weeks for Djokovic, who also lost to Dan Evans in Monte-Carlo.
However, he says that while he is not happy with his performance, he is also trying to not overreact.
“Hats off to Karatsev, he was bold and deserved to win,” Djokovic told an online news conference.
“I will probably not be able to recollect all the memorable rallies in this match because I lost.
“I am not happy with my performance, I put up a fight but he delivered great shots every time he needed to.
“I was unlucky at times, it all came down to one or two shots but I had too many ups and downs throughout the match.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner