‘I know it will be difficult mentally’ – Simona Halep expecting tough 2021 campaign
Simona Halep believes 2021 will be a difficult year again due to the coronavirus crisis, but she is feeling prepared for it.
Halep had a turbulent 2020, opting to skip the US Open due to concerns over her safety only to contract Covid at a later date.
She has been one of the more cautious players when dealing with the challenges of coronavirus, but she is determined for it not to become an excuse.
“I know it will be difficult mentally, but I feel that my experience in the ‘bubbles’ built by the WTA will help me overcome everything,” Halep told the Times of India.
“Now I know what awaits me in each tournament. I am also less worried, because in Australia the health emergency is under control and they are very organized.”
Given the early finish of the 2020 WTA season and the uncertainty over the scheduling for this year, it has been an odd off-season for the players.
Halep, though, says she feels she has been able to use the time wisely.
“I worked a lot on my physical condition,” she explained. “I have to take care of my body now more than ever. I do a lot of strength exercises and speed work.
“We intensified the court work at the beginning of December. I recently started playing some sets in training with other players.
“I’m preparing to the maximum in view of the Australian Open.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner