‘I know I can return to a high level’ – Andy Murray issues positive injury update after Kyle Edmund loss
Andy Murray says his hip ‘feels good’ despite his defeat to Kyle Edmund at the Battle of the Brits, and he remains confident he can return to a ‘high level’ of tennis.
Murray lost 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (7-5), 10-5 to Edmund in a highly competitive match-up on Wednesday, but was encouraged at how his body came through it.
And that, the former world number one says, is far more important than the result.
“To be honest, I am not bothered about the results of the match, after a match like that I hope my hip is OK, and I pull up well from it,” Murray said
“I know if my hip is good, my tennis will only improve and get better over the next few months. If I can get consistent practice.
“That is my hope. The hip feels good. If I play like that and do a few things better, sharpen up a couple of things, I will play high level tennis.
“My groin is a little bit sore today, I felt it in practice and at the beginning of my match, but as the match went on, it felt alright.
“That was good, positive. Then it’s pulling up the next day, see how you feel, not getting in a situation where you have to take two to three weeks off to recover basically.”
Andy Murray will now have to defeat James Ward to progress in the tournament.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner