‘I hope Roger Federer plays until he is 50’, says Marco Cecchinato
Marco Cecchinato hopes Roger Federer can play until he is 50, and believes the ‘Big Three’ could continue to dominate for a long time.
The 28-year-old Italian was beaten by Yannick Hanfmann 7-5, 6-1 in the second round of the ATP 250 event in Cagliari on Thursday.
“I hope, first of all, that Roger can play until he is 50! On the circuit he is an extraordinary and stimulating presence,” Cecchinato told Italian news outlet Gazzetta del Sud.
“An athlete who is pleasant to meet on the fields, in the locker room, in the lounge area. Federer is one of us, even if he is tennis.
“Obviously it will not be easy to return after a long period of absence. And the same can be said for (Novak) Djokovic and (Rafael) Nadal, who are playing little in this period.
“But considering that we are talking about the champions who have made tennis great, I would not be surprised if their domination continues for a long time.”
The world No. 93 reached the semi-finals of the 2018 French Open after stunning Djokovic, and has been ranked as high as No. 16.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner