‘I haven’t been able to get over that hurdle at the US Open,’ admits Ash Barty
World number one Ash Barty is determined to overcome the fourth round hurdle at the US Open after failing to do so in her previous five appearances.
The 25-year-old has enjoyed another hugely successful year at the top of the women’s game and comes into Flushing Meadows having lifted her second Major title at Wimbledon two months ago.
Despite failing to surpass the fourth round in New York, Barty is not concerned by her recent form on American soil and is confident of a deep run this time around.
“Each time we’ve played here in New York I’ve felt like I’ve played well. I just haven’t been able to quite get over that hurdle of the fourth round,” said the Australian.
“This year’s no different. We try and do the right things right from the start and try and put ourselves in a position where we can go deep in the tournament.
“But there are no guarantees in sport. There are certainly no guarantees in tennis.
“I think everyone is in a bit of a different position than they were in September of 2019 but [I’m] looking forward to getting stuck in here.”
Barty will face former world number two Vera Zvonareva in the opening round, who reached the US Open final 11 years ago.
“It’s a match I’ll have to be ready for straightaway, which is great,” Barty said. “It’s a good challenge, someone who’s experienced, has played a lot of big matches and is really comfortable here in New York.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel- Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner