‘I have the weapons to go far at Wimbledon,’ vows Matteo Berrettini
Matteo Berrettini believes he has the weapons and the mental mindset to go far at Wimbledon after coming through his first round encounter.
The World No 9, who came into this year’s Championships full of confidence after lifting the title at Queens, continued in that vein with a four-set victory over Argentine Guido Pella.
The Italian recovered from a second set blip against the 2019 quarter-finalist to win 6-4 3-6 6-4 6-0 and set up a meeting with Dutch lucky loser Botic Van De Zandschulp.
Berrettini, whose best grass-court performance came two years ago when he reached the fourth round, believes he has the ‘weapons’ to go deep this time around.
“[My level of confidence was] definitely something that helped me today when things got a little bit complicated,” said Berrettini.
“Sometimes you win also with the confidence that you feel in yourself. Today, especially in the third set, I used that as a weapon to overtake him.
“I know that I have the level [to go far]. I have the weapons. Also, the mental mindset to get there.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner