‘I have tested positive’ – Novak Djokovic responds after Adria Tour coronavirus outbreak
Novak Djokovic has defended his Adria tournament after he became the latest player involved to test positive for coronavirus.
The charity exhibition match was thrown into controversy after five players, including Grigor Dimitrov and Borna Coric, as well as staff members were found to have Covid-19.
Social distancing guidance was stubbornly ignored, with the matches often played in front of packed crowds, particularly in Belgrade.
However, Djokovic has defended the spirit in which the tour was arranged after confirming both he and his wife had tested positive for the virus.
“The moment we arrived in Belgrade we went to be tested,” Djokovic said in a Statement on Tuesday.
“My result is positive, just as Jelena’s, while the results of our children are negative.
“I am extremely sorry for each individual case of infection. I hope that it will not complicate anyone’s health situation and that everyone will be fine.
“Everything we did in past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. Our tournament meant to unite and share a message of solidarity and compassion throughout the region.
“The Tour has been designed to help both established and up and coming tennis players from South-Eastern Europe to gain access to some competitive tennis while the various tours are on hold due to the COVID-19 situation.
“It was all born with a philanthropic idea, to direct all raised funds towards people in need and it warmed my heart to see how everybody strongly responded to this.
“We organised the tournament at the moment when the virus has weakened, believing that the conditions for hosting the Tour had been met.
“Unfortunately the virus is still present, and it is a new reality that we are still learning to cope and live with. I am hoping things will ease with time so we can all resume lives the way they were.
“I will remain in self-isolation for the next 14 days and repeat the test in five days.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner