‘I have no doubt Carlos Alcaraz will win a lot of Slams’, declares ATP star
A former world number seven believes Carlos Alcaraz “has everything to make a huge career” after the 18-year-old won his first ATP title.
Richard Gasquet – who Alcaraz beat in the Croatia Open final – has predicted that the Spaniard will be a top 10 player “in a year or two”.
Alcaraz produced a superb display to crush world number 53 Gasquet 6-2, 6-2 in the final of the clay court ATP 250 event in Umag on Sunday – his first tour level title match.
The young star has climbed to a career-high ranking of 55 with the triumph over 35-year-old Gasquet – who has won 15 ATP titles.
“He has everything to make a huge career. He’ll be [ranked in the] top 10 in a year or two, I think,” the Frenchman said in an interview with L’Equipe.
“And he has the potential to win in the Grand Slams, that’s for sure. How much he will [win] is hard to say, but I have no doubt that he will gain a lot [of majors].”
Alcaraz is in action again this week at the ATP 250 tournament in Kitzbuhel.
(Photo credit Corinne Dubreuil/FFT)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner