‘I have a bit of a tough draw’, says Alexander Zverev ahead of Miami Open
World No. 7 Alexander Zverev believes his Miami Open draw is challenging, despite the number of high-profile withdrawals from the event.
A staggering 23 ATP players have withdrawn from the Masters 1000 tournament, including five ranked in the top 10 – Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem, Roger Federer and Matteo Berrettini.
“I think actually, I have a little bit of a tough draw in general – especially in the early rounds,” said Zverev when asked about the opportunity presented by the withdrawals in an interview with ATP Tennis TV.
“I’ve got a not easy section but I’m looking forward to this week. I feel like if I can play well I can compete and win against anyone.
“The focus should be on myself in a way. I shouldn’t be thinking about how open the draw is or anything like that. I should be thinking about how to play my best tennis.”
The German kicks off his tournament against world No. 83 Emil Ruusuvuori on Friday. He would then face either Mikael Ymer or Nikoloz Basilashvili in the third round, before a potential fourth round clash with, most likely, either Jannik Sinner or Karen Khachanov.
The 23-year-old could face eighth seed David Goffin or ninth seed Grigor Dimitrov in the quarter-finals, and top seed Daniil Medvedev could await him in the semi-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner