‘I had big belief in myself’, says Hubert Hurkacz after winning Miami Open title
Hubert Hurkacz defeated Jannik Sinner to win the 2021 Miami Open and become the first Polish player to win an ATP Masters 1000 title.
The 24-year-old prevailed 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 against the 19-year-old Italian to win the biggest title of his career. The new world No. 16 led 3-0 in the first set but was pegged back, before Sinner broke again to serve for the set at 6-5.
Hurkacz broke back to love and converted his third set point to win the tiebreak. The Pole then raced to a 4-0 second set lead and – despite losing one break and enduring some nervy moments – closed it out to secure victory.
“I had a big belief in myself from the beginning of the season,” Hurkacz said in his post-match press conference.
“Winning the tournament like this gives you extra motivation and self-confidence that, okay, you’re able to do it. Like, you came through some really hard moments here, and you just try to do it.
A moment he’ll never forget 🙌
— ATP Tour (@atptour) April 4, 2021
“I played (some) of the best tennis I’ve ever played. I was solid throughout the whole tournament, and I was able to get through each round, (and) was even more pumped for the next round. I think that’s something special for me.
“My tennis is getting better. We work hard with my coach, (Craig Boynton), and I’m super happy that it happened here. We still need to improve a couple of things and just try to get better each day.
“Last year I spent so much time in Florida. I was here like almost half of the year. We were working pretty hard, and I think I’m used to the conditions. I think (that’s) been part of the success I had here in Florida.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner