‘I got the reward for fighting’ – Dominic Thiem beats Fucsovics at Italian Open
Dominic Thiem said he has to “hurt opponents more with shots” after winning “a great match” against Marton Fucsovics at the Italian Open.
The world No. 4 battled through to the third round of the Masters 1000 event today with a 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-0 win against the Hungarian.
The Austrian came from a break down in the second set and was two points from defeat in the tiebreak, before storming through the deciding set.
“It was such a close match, especially in the second set. I knew he’d be a super-tough opponent, particularly coming from different conditions in Madrid,” said Thiem in a post-match interview.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 12, 2021
“I was fighting all the match and stayed in there. At the end, I got the reward for fighting. I had difficulties with my timing and my serve. I have to hurt my opponent more with my shots. I still won a great match and I will try to improve for tomorrow.”
The 27-year-old will play Lorenzo Sonego in the last 16 on Thursday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner