‘I felt intimidated,’ says Naomi Osaka despite remarkable comeback win at Australian Open
Naomi Osaka said she felt ‘a bit intimidated’ going into her Australian Open match against Garbine Muguruza, but she was able to go through regardless.
Osaka looked like she was on the brink of losing the match when the Spaniard was a break up in the third set and earned two match points on the Osaka serve.
However, the Japanese star somehow managed to break back when Muguruza was serving for the match, before securing a second break at the death to score an unlikely win.
“I feel like I was a bit intimidated because I knew she was playing really well coming into this match,” Naomi Osaka said on court after the match.
“For me, I feel like in the stressful points, I feel like I have to go within myself and I know that today I probably hit a lot of unforced errors.
“I think it was something I needed to do because I couldn’t really give her any shortfalls because she would finish it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner