‘I feel pretty happy with how I’m playing,’ Naomi Osaka prepares for US Open title defence
Naomi Osaka begins her US Open title defence on Tuesday as she defeated Victoria Azarenka in last year’s final.
The four-time Grand Slam champion has done all her Major winning on hardcourts, however withdrew from Wimbledon citing mental health issues, before exiting Tokyo Olympics in third round.
The world number three will start her defence on the back of a last-16 defeat to Jil Teichmann at Cincinnati Masters, however Osaka is ‘pretty happy’ with her game, but accepts she hasn’t played much tennis in 2021.
“Honestly, I know I haven’t played that many matches. I know that I haven’t even gotten to a quarterfinal [in a while],” she said.
“Actually I feel pretty happy with how I’m playing. I thought I played two really tough matches in Cincinnati. The girl that I lost to, she played really well. I didn’t play her before, so I had no information on her.
“It’s one of those things where you do have to have a match rhythm. Of course, I played literally no tournaments before that match.
“I feel pretty confident with where I am right now. Of course I’m not declaring that I’ll do amazing here. For me, I’m the one-match-at-a-time like person. Hopefully it will work out in the end.”
The Japanese star will face Marie Bouzkova in the opening round on Tuesday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner