‘I feel like I can lose every match,’ admits Rafael Nadal despite immense success
Rafael Nadal has admitted that he ‘feels like he can lose every match’ he plays despite his incredible record.
No man has won more Grand Slam titles than Nadal, who equalled Roger Federer’s record of 20 earlier this year at Roland Garros.
However, he says he still has too much humility, as well as some self-doubt, to allow himself to expect to win.
“To be honest with you, inside I feel like I can lose every game I play on the tour,” Nadal told Pablo Matos.
“I am confident in my abilities and my chances of winning, but I don’t tell myself that I have a 100% chance of winning.
“The second I lose the match, my mind is 100% negative. Of course it depends on the importance of the match.
“But in general, I speak with my team, I analyse what was badly done, well done, then 5 minutes later I think about what we will have to work and improve in the future to find solutions.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner