‘I don’t think we expected to reach the final,’ admits Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic admitted he and his new-found doubles partner Carlos Gomez-Herrera didn’t expect to reach the Mallorca doubles final.
The Serbian opted against playing singles ahead of Wimbledon and instead opted to play doubles with long-time friend Gomez-Herrera.
Despite match practice and adjusting to the grass surface being his main target, Djokovic and Gomez-Herrera have built a perhaps surprising yet formidable partnership in Mallorca.
“I don’t think we expected to reach the finals,” Novak Djokovic said in an on-court interview.
“But if we play well, we can return very well, we serve very well and I think we have a quite solid net game.
“All around, everything clicked quite amazingly in the last several days for us. I’m just super thrilled to share the court with him and to reach our first final together”.
Gomez-Herrard, who is currently ranked 355 in the world, admitted that it has been a privilege to play alongside the World No 1 as he gears up to the grass-court Slam.
“For me it’s such a pleasure to play with him. I think [everyone] saw, we are so relaxed on court and we’re just enjoying [ourselves],” Gomez-Herrera said.
“If we play like this, we can keep going until I don’t know when. And it happened, we are in the final.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner