‘I don’t pay any attention’, says Carlos Alcaraz on Rafa Nadal comparisons
Carlos Alcaraz said training with his idol Rafael Nadal was “unforgettable”, but that he pays no attention to being compared to the 20-time Grand Slam winner.
The world No. 133 reached the second round of the Andalucia Open in Marbella on Tuesday after beating Serbian qualifier Nikola Milojevic in straight sets. Spanish 17-year-old Alcaraz is a wildcard at the ATP 250 tournament.
“I don’t pay any attention to people who have high expectations of me, who say that if I’m going to be the next Nadal,” Alcaraz told Marca prior to the event.
“I try to stay out of that kind of comment. I focus on myself, my work and my team.”
Alcaraz also discussed practising with Nadal at the Australian Open in February, and the prospect of training with Novak Djokovic.
Nadal & Alcaraz’s first practice together 😎
Hopefully the first of many! 🙌
— ATP Tour (@atptour) February 6, 2021
“All players are good at training, but it is always more special to do it with your idol, which in my case is Rafa (Nadal),” the Spaniard added.
“It was an unforgettable, unique experience that I will always keep. I miss him (Djokovic) and many more that I am also excited to play with.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner