‘I don’t consider myself a bad guy,’ bemused Djokovic shuts down reporter
Following his quarter-final victory, Novak Djokovic had to contend with a journalist who questioned him on how it felt to be the ‘bad guy’ of the sport.
Djokovic, who is chasing a record-equalling 20th Grand Slam title, dispatched Hungary’s Marton Fucsovics 6-3 6-4 6-4 and will face Denis Shapovalov for a place in Sunday’s final.
The Serbian, who will go level with Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer should he lift the Wimbledon title, was asked what has it been like to be the ‘bad guy’ chasing after Nadal and Federer.
“I don’t consider myself a bad guy. I mean, that’s your opinion,” said an unimpressed Djokovic in his post-match press conference.
“I’m not chasing anybody. I’m making my own path and my own journey, my own history. I’m privileged to be part of history of this sport that I love.
— TENNIS (@Tennis) July 7, 2021
“As I said on the court, I know about a lot of stats. I don’t know about all of them. But they do motivate me even more to play my best tennis at the events that count the most in our sport.”
The question posed by the reporter was met was criticism on social media, with Ben Rothenberg saying it was one of the worst opening questions ‘ever heard’ in a press conference.
One of worst opening questions I've ever heard in a press conference, good lord.
Q. What has it been like to be something of the 'bad guy' chasing after Roger and Rafa all these years?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don't consider myself a bad guy. I mean, that's your opinion…#Wimbledon
— Ben Rothenberg (@BenRothenberg) July 7, 2021
Djokovic, who celebrated his 100th grass-court victory on Wednesday, will take a 6-0 head-to-head advantage over 22-year-old Shapovalov into their match on Friday.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner