‘I didn’t fake anything’ – Daniil Medvedev discuss controversial US Open incident
Daniil Medvedev says his controversial interaction with the crowd at the 2019 US Open was an important learning experience for him.
The Russian became the villain of the piece in New York when he stuck a finger up at the crowd in response to boos at his treatment of a ball kid.
After the match, he told the crowd that their boos ‘helped’ him win the match, and was unrepentant on court.
However, later in the tournament he was able to charm them back onto his side, and he said it taught him an important lesson about authenticity and how a player’s angry moments need no define them.
“With the ups and downs and finishing on a good note and getting the crowd on my side, I didn’t fake anything and didn’t think what I say next,” Medvedev told Forbes.
“I just did my job and was myself and people had the chance to decide for themselves which personality and character I have.
“I took a lot of things from that. I shouldn’t do what I did in the first round.
“But even when making mistakes you can continue to be yourself and just show who you really are and not when you are angry and lost your temper.
“I was able to get people back on my side. I think that is important from a business point of view, really important.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner