‘I changed my game plan a bit. And it worked’, says Bianca Andreescu after Muguruza win
Eighth seed Bianca Andreescu reached the quarter-finals of the 2021 Miami Open after beating Garbine Muguruza in three sets.
The 2019 US Open champion beat two-time Grand Slam winner Muguruza 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the fourth round of the WTA 1000 event.
Muguruza earned the only break of the opening set to lead 5-3, before serving the set out. Andreescu broke for 3-1 in the second set after saving two break points, but was broken back serving at 4-2.
The Canadian broke again, though, in the following game and closed the set out. The 20-year-old then broke the Spaniard twice in the opening three games of the deciding set and did not drop serve as she sealed the win.
“It was really tough. She started out playing really, really well. I don’t think I was at the level I wanted to be right at the start of the match, because I knew she was going to come out really, really strong, and that’s what she did,” Andreescu said in her post-match press conference.
Absolutely incredible 🤯
— wta (@WTA) March 30, 2021
“But I had to re-adapt, which I did in the second set. I regrouped. I kept fighting. I changed my game plan a little bit as well. And it worked.
“I felt like at the beginning I wasn’t as consistent. She was just playing really, really well, as well, on top of that.
“But I felt like I was going too much on her forehand in the first set, so I kind of regrouped and I tried to pick what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong.
“I just told myself, ‘Okay, her backhand was still really good but I’ll pick on that a little bit more.’ That made a big difference.
“Even when I’m down I know I can find a way. Most of the time, not all of the time. Most of the time, I can always find a way and come back and do really, really well.
“I keep proving that to myself, and it’s really nice to get that under my belt. I felt super, super pumped the whole match, considering everything that’s been happening. I’m just super, super happy.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner