‘I can’t believe what just happened’ – Barbora Krejcikova wins 2021 French Open
Unseeded Czech Barbora Krejcikova won the 2021 French Open by defeating Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in three sets in the final.
The world No. 33 triumphed 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 over the Russian in the title match in just under two hours to win her first Major singles title.
The 25-year-old became the first Czech woman to win the Roland Garros title since Hana Mandlikova in 1981.
“I just want to thank everyone for coming and cheering for us today. It was the biggest support, the biggest energy,” Krejcikova said in an on-court interview.
“In these bad times during this pandemic, it’s very nice to see all of you here. I thank you so much, the atmosphere was amazing.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 12, 2021
“I’m super happy that I was able to enjoy it today in front of you. I’m just really happy. It’s really hard to put words together right now, because I can’t believe what just happened.”
After losing serve in the opening game of the match, Krejcikova broke three times and won five straight games to turn the first set around swiftly.
World No. 32 Pavlyuchenkova then hit back to level the final by breaking three times to take a similarly one-sided second set.
The pair exchanged breaks early in the third set, before the Czech secured the crucial break to go up 4-3.
She held her nerve and converted her fourth championship point to seal a remarkable victory.
Krejcikova could complete a singles and doubles French Open double if she wins the women’s doubles final with compatriot Katerina Siniakova on Sunday.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner