‘I can finally believe I’ve won a Grand Slam’- Swiatek adjusting to life in the spotlight
French Open champion Iga Swiatek is slowly adjusting to life in the spotlight after winning her maiden Grand Slam title in Paris less than two weeks ago.
Swiatek’s victory at the tournament saw her win her first ever WTA Title, having made her WTA debut just last year, and also saw her become the first Polish player to win a Grand Slam singles title.
A record 1.6 million people in Poland watched her straight-sets win over Sofia Kenin at Roland Garros and in an interview with the Daily Mail, Swiatek revealed she had been in high demand following her return to the country.
She said: “On Wednesday, I was on air from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. It’s been crazy back in Poland.”
The teenager also said that it was taking some time for her to deal with the attention generated from her triumph, though that the reality of winning one of the biggest titles in the sport was sinking in.
Swiatek said: I’m getting more and more popular so I’m still trying to get used to that.
“I can finally get my thoughts together and I can finally believe I’ve won a Grand Slam.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner