‘I am really pumped for this week,’ says Stefanos Tsitsipas ahead of Madrid
Stefanos Tsitsipas is hoping to continue his impressive form on the European clay with another strong run at the Madrid Open.
Tsitsipas has won nine of his last ten matches on the European clay, including victory in Monte Carlo without dropping a set and a mouthwatering final against Rafael Nadal in Barcelona last week.
The Greek star had an impressive run in Madrid in the last edition of this event in 2019, eventually losing to Novak Djokovic 6-3 6-4 in the final.
“I won’t lie, my expectations are to come as close to my previous result (in Barcelona) which was in the final,” Tsitsipas told reporters.
“I’m really pumped for this week and next week.”
Given his recent surge in success, the 22-year-old is also looking beyond the Madrid Open as he eyes Dominic Thiem’s No 4 spot in the ATP rankings.
“I can create opportunities and maybe get to number four. It’s something that has been on my mind and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that,” Tsitsipas explained.
“Mainly because I’ve been working hard and I feel like that’s my opportunity to do something different.
“Of course I’m far from there yet, I have to get these matches going and produce better tennis.”
The World No 5 also admitted that there are areas of his game he would like to work on and particularly homed in on his first serve percentage.
Tsitsipas said: “I would like to be a bit more consistent on my serve with a higher first service (percentage). I would like to come to the net more and have a higher winning percentage of net points won. Stuff like this is something I am aiming for.
“Sending my attention towards the small details which will help me become a more aggressive and complete player.”
Stefanos Tsitsipas will take on either Benoit Paire or Nikoloz Basilashivili before a potential meeting with Felix Auger-Aliassime, who he beat in straight-sets in Barcelona last week.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner