Top
Andrey Rublev volleys Monte Carlo 2021

‘I am really angry’, says Andrey Rublev after opening win in Barcelona

1 Share

Andrey Rublev said he was angry with his behaviour after beating Federico Gaio in his opening match at the Barcelona Open on Wednesday.

The world No. 7 beat the Italian 6-4, 6-3 in the second round of the ATP 500 event, having received a first round bye. The 23-year-old reached the final of the Monte Carlo Masters last week.

“It was more mental today. I’m so mad (with) myself (with) the way I was behaving today, after especially what I’ve been improving in Monte-Carlo,” said the Russian in an on-court interview.

“So not much to say, I’m happy that I won because this is the most important thing, but at the moment I am really angry. Hopefully (in the) next matches I can improve myself and have better behaviour on court.

“When you’re not thinking, you’re always trying to find excuses, so it was my problem in my head. That’s it, I need to change it, it was only my problem. But I need to control my emotions.”

Rublev faces Albert Ramos-Vinolas in the third round today.

(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)


Andrey Rublev volleys Monte Carlo 2021
1 Share
Copy link