‘I am overjoyed!’ – Dominic Thiem wins major sporting honour in Austria
Dominic Thiem has added another trophy to his collection after winning the Austrian Sportsman of the Year award for the first time.
Thiem made his Grand Slam breakthrough in 2020, winning the US Open after failing in his previous three major finals.
That has not only propelled him into the top three in the ATP rankings, but also to the major award in his homeland.
“I am overjoyed and would also like to congratulate the other top athletes,” Thiem said when accepting the award.
“More than just one athlete deserves this award every year. I am happy to be in line with the really big ones now.
The moment Domi received his award 🥺 pic.twitter.com/t4xCLEooE8
— Helene ~ 🎢 (@DomiBucky) November 10, 2020
“The names on the list of winners are impressive. And to be there now is a great honour.”
Thiem has previously finished second in the voting for the award twice, both times losing out to Alpine skier Marcel Hirscher.
This time, though, he beat Bayern Munich football ace David Alaba into second place by a huge 736 points – the highest winning margin in 18 years.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner