‘I am happy for him and Felix’, says Rafa Nadal on Uncle Toni coaching Auger-Aliassime
Rafael Nadal is happy his uncle and former coach Toni Nadal is working with Felix Auger-Aliassime, and believes it will be “an important help” for the Canadian.
The Spaniard has been coaching the 20-year-old for the first time at a tournament ahead of this week’s Monte Carlo Masters. World No. 3 Nadal – an 11-time Monte Carlo champion – will also feature at the year’s first big clay court event.
“I am happy for him. At the same time, happy (for the) academy (to) have somebody (working) with such a great player like Felix. (That) is a positive thing,” Nadal said in a pre-tournament press conference.
“Toni has a lot of experience. He knows a lot about this sport. He has all the knowledge that somebody needs. I am sure that (is) going to be an important help for Felix.
“I don’t have any problem. I always said the same: I want the best for Toni. He’s my uncle. I am very grateful for all the things that he did for me. I am happy that he’s on the tour a couple of weeks.
“At the same time I am happy for Felix. It’s going to be a good support, (to) have a great coach like Toni next to him. Happy for me, too. I am happy to see my uncle here, spend time with him here on the tour again.”
World No. 21 Auger Aliassime – who faces Cristian Garin in his first match at the Masters 1000 event on Monday – had previously received advice from the 60-year-old coach while training at the Rafa Nadal Academy.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner