‘I am a better player now than when I was 20’, believes Roger Federer
Roger Federer said he is a “more balanced player” now than when he was younger, but has the “desire and mentality” of a young player to return to compete.
The 39-year-old is set to play his second event since the 2020 Australian Open at the Geneva Open next week.
The 20-time Grand Slam winner – who had two knee surgeries last year – will then feature at the French Open.
“2021 is going to be an exciting year because normality is getting closer and closer, although it is being very hard because of the virus,” Federer said in an interview with Uniqlo.
“I really can’t wait any longer to play matches. I am a more balanced player (now). Over time I have been able to adjust the details in my playing style, my footwork and the technology of my rackets that make me able to play better now than when I was 20 years old.
The Swiss added he has “the desire and the mentality to return to compete as a young player” and is “very happy” because his knee feels “much better”, despite a “very slow” recovery.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner