How Naomi Osaka can overtake Ash Barty as world No. 1 after Miami
Naomi Osaka has a chance to surpass Ashleigh Barty as the WTA world No. 1 if she wins the Miami Open.
The world No. 2 currently has 7,835 ranking points, and only has 65 points to defend from her 2019 third round showing in Miami. Winning the WTA 1000 event would, therefore, take the 23-year-old’s tally to 8,770 points.
Barty currently has a points total of 9,186, but is the defending Miami Open champion – having won the 2019 edition. If Osaka did win the title, the Australian would need to reach the final to retain the No. 1 spot.
Another scenario which could see the top spot shift would be if Barty lost in the second round. Osaka would then need to reach the final to overtake the 24-year-old.
Osaka is on a 21-match winning streak heading into the Miami Open – stretching back to the second round of the Western & Southern Open in August.
The Japanese star’s run includes winning the US Open and Australian Open titles – taking her tally of Grand Slam triumphs to four.
While the streak includes Osaka giving two walkovers – her last tour-level defeat was a Billie Jean King Cup rubber against Sara Sorribes Tormo in February last year.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner