Hewitt set for lay-off
Originally published on: 26/02/10 13:03
The 28-year-old underwent an operation on his right hip in Hobart on Friday after losing to Roger Federer in the fourth round of the Australian Open earlier this week. Hewitt revealed he had felt a pain in his hip during a practice session during the Hopman Cup in Perth.
The former Wimbledon winner said it was, however, a different injury to the one that required surgery to his left hip late in 2008 and hopes to return for the clay-court season. “I did one movement at the Hopman Cup in practice the day before my first match, and I felt something straightaway,” he said.
“I knew it wasn’t that good. Right at that time I wasn’t 100% sure whether I was going to be able to play any of the Australian summer.
“At least I gave 100% and tried to block it out as much as possible, was able to get through the summer.”
Hewitt denied he had thought about retiring after he had only returned from a two-month lay-off before the Hopman Cup to get fit for his home grand slam.
“That never went through my mind,” he said.
“I’ve worked too hard to come back. I feel like I’m hitting the ball as well as I’ve nearly ever hit it.
“The bloke I lost to the start of this week (Federer) he’s as good as you get right at the moment.
“I don’t feel like I’m that far away, my ball striking, from doing some damage in the grand slams.”