‘He’s the best player of all time’, says Nikoloz Basilashvili after beating Federer
Roger Federer is out of the Qatar Open after losing to Nikoloz Basilashvili in three sets having had a match point.
The 39-year-old Swiss won the first set 6-3, before his Georgian opponent won the second set 6-1.
Basilashvili – the world No. 42 – then saved a match point serving at 4-5, 30-40 in the deciding set.
The 29-year-old broke Federer in the next game, before serving out to win the third set 7-5 and complete a memorable victory.
He will face world No. 33 Taylor Fritz – who edged past Denis Shapovalov in the quarter-finals – in the last four.
“It’s unbelievable, he is one of the greatest of all time in tennis. To just play him means so much for me, I’m very happy he came back and (is) playing again,” said Basilashvili in his on-court interview.
“For sure, to win against him is a dream come true for me. He was always my idol and I’m sure (he is) to many tennis players and fans.
“He’s an unbelievable player, so I’m extremely happy. He is on court, (the) best player of all time in my opinion, and off court he’s (an) unbelievable person.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner