‘He’s hitting the ball well enough’ – Nick Kyrgios tipped to make big Australian Open impact
Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt has backed compatriot Nick Kyrgios to ‘go deep’ at the upcoming Australian Open.
Kyrgios has not played for 12 months now after choosing to remove himself from competition last year due to his concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.
He has also recently admitted to fighting a battle with depression which also played a roll in his decision to step away from the Tour, but he will make his return in Australia this month.
And, according to Hewitt, Kyrgios is capable of surprising a few people at the Australian Open.
“He’s hitting the ball well enough to push deep in the Australian Open for sure,” Hewitt said of Kyrgios.
“I think as a whole him having a bit of a breakaway from the sport where he’s positioned, for his body and mind I think is a good thing.
“Because he hasn’t played a match for so long, though, it’s not going to be easy for him just to come out and switch it on either.
“I think it’s perfect for him to hopefully get through a few rounds in one of the ATP tournaments that he’s playing this week.
“But from a whole, he looks to be hitting the ball well, clean, he relies on his serve and is serving big at the moment.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner