‘He’s been able to work for a week’ – Daniil Medvedev fully recovered from Covid, confirms coach
Daniil Medvedev has been able to train for a week without problems following his positive Covid test at the Monte-Carlo Masters, says his coach.
Medvedev was forced to withdraw from Monte-Carlo after testing positive for the virus after a practice session with Rafael Nadal, with it keeping him out of Barcelona too.
He is set to make his return at the Madrid Masters next week, though, and coach Gilles Cervara says the Russian has been monitored closely to make sure he has recovered from the illness.
“He has been able to work for a week,” Cervara told Tennis Majors of Medvedev.
“The first few days we kept a close eye on the reaction of his heart to effort, the reaction of his lungs, we were very attentive to his health sensations – headaches, difficulty in exertion – in order to adjust our training demand.
“You don’t pick up like that overnight after a week off, especially after contracting a little-known virus.”
However, Cervara also fears that contracting Covid-19 will still have consequences, with him claiming it has left Medvedev ‘significantly’ behing his rivals in terms of the clay season.
“You see Stefanos Tsitsipas who has played 10 matches and the certainty he has created by winning nine, [and] he is not the only one,” Cervara explained.
“The extent of this delay is unknown. I shouldn’t compare us to other players, we just have to focus on our own goals, day by day, to get to the end of the road. I can’t be ahead of my player.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner