‘He’s a special player who can take on Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal,’ says coach
Stan Wawrinka does not get the recognition that he deserves for taking titles from Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic, says his coach.
Wawrinka has won three titles in his career – an Australian Open, US Open, and French Open – making him one of only five currently active male players to have won multiple majors.
The fact there are not more is testament to the talents of the established big three, but coach Magnus Norman believes it also underlines what a ‘special’ player Wawrinka is.
“He’s a little bit underestimated for sure,” Norman said. “He’s had an unbelievable career.
“It’s been a little bit up and down. He doesn’t have the same stability as Andy Murray or Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal
“But in his best moments, I think he can beat all of those names on a very good day.
“That’s what makes him a little bit special. Stan is a gambler.
“He plays with small margins. He’s the kind of guy that will put everything in red, do or die.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner