“He said she said” Roland Garros Day Two
“It’s a good thing to get through, but it’s never, never the best to start with a Roland Garros five-set match and not play your best tennis. You always want to play good tennis and win matches in three sets”
Defending champion Stan Wawrinka on his three-hour 11 minute tussle with Lukas Rosol which he won 4-6 6-1 3-6 6-3 6-4.
“Especially with how the forecast started out today. It was going to be a long day, and I was happy I was quite efficient on court.”
Milos Raonic who beat Janko Tipsarevic 6-3 6-2 7-6(5) in two hours and nine minutes.
“If I think that four months ago I was in a hospital, you know, having surgery, I’m happy where I am now.”
Janko Tipsarevic who returned from foot and knee injuries at a challenger in April 2016 having not played since US Open 2015 or won a match at any levels since 2015 Madrid qualifying.
“Today is just a happy moment and I know that after Roland Garros I’m going to be back in those smaller tournaments. I’m going to need to work hard. I’m just enjoying the moment.”
French wildcard Myrtille Georges who defeated Christina McHale 6-7(7) 6-0 6-3 and next plays world No.4 Garbine Muguruza
“I think I had the music on or something. I wasn’t listening when someone talks over the loudspeaker. The supervisor came, and they’re like, ”We’re waiting for you”. I’m like, ‘No way’.”
Garbine Muguruza who defeated Anna Karolina Schmiedlova 3-6 6-3 6-3 and was first on court after the morning rain delay
“First of all, I’m knackered, I could go to sleep right now. It’s been two long days.”
Heather Watson after her 5-7 6-2 6-2 defeat of her doubles partner Nicole Gibbs and a match that went over two days, delayed by rain.
“I guess she’s on fire winning last week.”
Agnieszka Radwanska, who defeated Bojana Jovanoski 6-2 6-0, on her second round opponent Caroline Garcia who won in Strasbourg last week.
“Thank you to so many of you for coming. Maybe you’re a bit bored because of the rain, so it would be pretty good to have a roof over the Philippe Chatrier Court today.”
Tournament director Guy Forget cracks a joke with the press during the rain delayed morning start, and talks about the development plans for Roland Garros which include a roof on Philippe Chatrier by 2020 latest.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner