‘He makes me a better player’ – Stefanos Tsitsipas tips youngster for super-stardom
Stefanos Tsitsipas believes Felix Auger-Aliassime ‘makes him a better player’ after beating him in the final of Marseille.
The Greek star successfully defended a title for the first time in his career, condemning Auger-Aliassime to a fifth career final defeat in five attempts.
However, Tsitsipas also had some words of encouragement for the Canadian, who is still a teenager but making a serious impression on the ATP Tour.
“It’s great to be fighting on the court against you,” Tsitsipas told Auger-Aliassime on-court after the match.
“I feel like you make me a better a player. And I hope I make you that too.
“I would like to congratulate you on a great week. Someone had to win the title – it was a very close match.
“I’ve been following you, even when you’ve not been playing the same tournaments as me.
“Keep putting in the extra work and I’m sure you can achieve a lot of things in the future which will be very good for our sport and for the younger generations.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner