‘He is super focused on his legacy’ – Garbine Muguruza on studying Federer business decisions
Two-time Grand Slam champion Garbine Muguruza is studying the business decisions of Roger Federer as part of a course at Harvard University.
WTA players Muguruza and Johanna Konta, and former star Caroline Wozniacki, are all current or recent students of a three-month course at the university which allows athletes to develop business skills. Victoria Azarenka also completed the programme – on which athletes work alongside Harvard MBA students.
World No. 13 Muguruza has been investigating some of the business interests of 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer, as well as studying Argentine football club Boca Juniors.
“He (Federer) is a very ambitious person. I think that he is super focused on what is coming next for him, his legacy,” Muguruza told BBC Sport.
“I feel like he wants to be very involved in everything he does. Everything he touches, he wants to be very successful and sophisticated.
“Once I commit to something, I’m pretty intense about it.
“I like to study and do the exams. It’s exciting, it’s an adrenaline – I’ve always loved school.
“I consider myself decent a studying person, I had good notes. History was my best subject, I loved it.
“The wars, I was very good at studying dates and what happened in this country and that country, why did they fight? I was always very curious at what happened before I was born.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner