‘He has what it takes’ – Top coach names player he expects to succeed Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic
Dominic Thiem will be the next word number one after Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, and Roger Federer, says his former coach Gunter Bresnik.
Nadal, Djokovic, and Federer have dominated tennis for 16 years and only Andy Murray has been able to take the top ranking away from the trio.
However, Thiem reached – and lost – his third Grand Slam Final at the Australian Open last week, taking Djokovic all the way to five sets before falling agonisingly short.
Bresnik, though, saw more than enough in his game to suggest he is going to be the man to beat in the post ‘big three’ era.
In fact, Bresnik believes Thiem already has Federer firmly in his sights.
“In the short term he will be number 3, in the long term he will be number 1,” he told Austrian broadcaster ServusTV.
“Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer would have seen Thiem as the future number 1 years ago.
“The top 3 [and] top 5 – because I don’t want to exclude [Andy] Murray and [Stan] Wawrinka – he has beaten everyone during their prime.
“Hats off to the boy. He has what it takes and he will confirm it.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner