‘He has everything’, Bautista Agut praises Jannik Sinner after Miami semi-final
Roberto Bautista Agut praised Jannik Sinner and admitted he has a bright future ahead of him following his semi-final defeat at the Miami Open.
Just two days after his straight-sets win against World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev, Bautista Agut was one of the favourites to win the Miami Open before the 19-year-old defeated the Spaniard 5-7 6-4 6-4.
“He has a great future coming up. He has everything,” said Bautista Agut.
“He has a big serve, he’s tall, he’s big, he moves well, he has very good groundstrokes, mentally he’s also great and improving. He has a great future coming up.”
Bautista Agut, who has reached 18 ATP Tour championship matches as a professional, is yet to beat the Italian in their previous two encounters having also lost to Sinner in Dubai a fortnight ago.
Despite his powerful groundstrokes, arguably the most impressive element of Sinner’s game is his mental strength, with his quarter-final opponent Alexander Bublik questioning if Sinner was human at the conclusion of their match.
“Of course, he’s good. In both matches, I have the feeling I could have won both times, but finally I didn’t. I think he has something special in tough moments,” said Bautista Agut.
“Today, I had chances in the second set, chances in the third set. He’s a great player, a great competitor, and I will try to beat him the next time.
“Tennis sometimes is crazy. I had four break points in a game and today was not my day. I have to congratulate him, because he came back well in the second set and in the third set.”
Jannik Sinner will now face Hubert Hurkacz in Sunday’s final, with both players in search of their first ATP Masters 1000 title.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner