Grass win No.59 as Federer takes fifth Halle title
Roger Federer won a fifth title at the Gerry Weber Open grass-court tournament in Halle, beating Germany’s Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3 6-4, extending his winning streak on grass to 59 matches.
Kohlschreiber had stunned No.2 seed James Blake in the semis, but found himself up against an indomitable Federer in the final of the Gerry Weber Open. The world No.1 entered the match without having dropped a single service game, and maintained that record against the German.
Federer was clearly pleased to win the 55th title of his career with Wimbledon around the corner. “That was very special. I never lost my serve in this tournament, that had never happened to me.”
Federer will now heads to Wimbledon in search of a sixth consecutive title, an unprecedented feat in the open era. And in doing so, he restored some confidence following the rout he received from Rafael Nadal in the French Open final last week.
The Swiss player has gone on to win Wimbledon after claiming the Gerry Weber Open title on his four previous visits to the tournament. His win over Kohlschreiber was his 24th straight Halle victory.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner