Gasquet nightmare continues in Hamburg
After admitting anybody could have beaten him in Rome last week, on Tuesday world No.9 Richard Gasquet played more like the world No.1009 as he went down 6-3, 6-2 to Italian Andreas Seppi.
“I am really disappointed, said Gasquet, who was on court for only 71 minutes. I wasn’t in the game and I didn’t play at all well.
“I am not confident at all for Roland Garros, but you can never say never, I will try to do my best there, of course. I am not carrying any injuries, but I am just so tired.
Fourth and fifth seeds Nikolay Davydenko and David Ferrer showed the Frenchman how it’s done as both enjoyed easy wins to move into the last 16.
Davydenko crushed Ivan Ljubicic 6-4, 6-1, while Ferrer took out Ivo Minar from the Czech Republic 6-3, 6-3.
Thirteenth seed Tommy Robredo enjoyed one of the most dramatic wins of the day when he outfought German Philipp Kohlschreiber 2-6, 7-6 (7/5), 6-3 in their first round match.
The young German was in total control until a disputed line call turned the match in the sixth game of the second set.
While Hamburg has been enjoying blazing sunshine, rain washed out most of the day’s play in Rome where the world’s best women are playing a Tier 1 event.
Only four matches were completed before a torrential downpour suspended play in the late afternoon.
Belarussian Victoria Azarenka, Slovak Republic’s Dominika Cibulkova, Bulgarian qualifier Tsvetana Pironkova and Italian wild card Roberta Vinci all advanced before the heavens opened.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner