Gael Monfils claims huge win over Albert Ramos-Vinolas at French Open
Gael Monfils beat Albert Ramos-Vinalos in four sets to reach the French Open second round.
The 34-year-old triumphed 1-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4, 6-4 against the world No. 38 in the first round in Paris.
Ramos took the opening set 6-1 in just 24 minutes – winning 27 of the 37 points played and converting 2/3 break points.
Monfils recovered from 1-4 to force a tie-break in set two. With the backing of the French crowd, Monfils produced some outstanding tennis to edge a thrilling tie-break 8-6. The Frenchman hit six winners and 23 winners.
After three consecutive breaks at the beginning of set three, Monfils found his first serve and closed out the crucial third set 6-4. He won 83% of first serve points.
The Frenchman fell behind again in set four, but battled back to 4-4 with some great tennis. Ramos gifted Monfils a break to love, which gave him an opportunity to serve out the match. Monfils made no mistake and closed out the match on his first match point to spark jubilant celebrations.
Monfils won 76% of first serve points throughout the match, while hitting 12 aces and 60 winners.
He will face Mikael Ymer in the second round after he defeated Roberto Carballes Baena in a deciding fifth set.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner