French Open Social Slice: Djokovic humour; Murray praise for Swiatek
On today’s Social Slice, we look at how Djokovic saw himself covering the court in his French Open win against Musetti and high praise from Andy Murray regarding Iga Swiatek.
First off, Djokovic recovered from a two-set deficit against Lorenzo Musetti to reach the quarter-finals.
Following his victory, Djokovic took to twitter to joke about his court coverage! Nothing better than a bit of light-hearted humour to recover from a three and a half hour contest!
Me trying to cover the court today 😂
— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) June 7, 2021
During the Pole’s straight-sets victory over an impressive Kostyuk, three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray was quick to heap praise on the 20-year-old.
Swiatek soon replied, asking for some practice on the grass courts! I am sure Murray won’t hesitate to accept the offer.
Thank you Sir Andy! Are you by any chance up for a practice? I really need to improve my skills on grass. 🙈
— Iga Świątek (@iga_swiatek) June 7, 2021
Despite a disappointing end to an impressive tournament for the Italian, Musetti was encouraged by his display and believes he can stay at this level.
See you on the grass soon Lorenzo!
"Now I know how I can play, how far I am from the [best players] on the Tour, like Nole. So I know that if I play good I can stay at this level. I will go home, rest a bit, and work for Wimbledon."#RolandGarros pic.twitter.com/qAPzWh8DsK
— ATP Tour (@atptour) June 8, 2021
John Millman’s travels around Europe including Paris has made him realise just how different things are off the court to his home country.
The Australian believes that things are ‘returning to a more normal pace’, with the vaccine rollout further ahead in Europe.
Just an observation…
Being overseas currently, it’s apparent how far behind we are in our vaccine rollout.
Probably many reasons for the delay but over here it’s nice to see things returning to a more normal pace.
— John Millman (@johnhmillman) June 8, 2021
On a more light-hearted note, it turns out 17-year-old Coco Gauff also has many strategies off the court, including playing UNO against her parents!
Currently the American is in the lead! She just can’t lose at the minute.
Dad there are now witnesses! No cheating🤣 https://t.co/zaTzMwR5ZW
— Coco Gauff (@CocoGauff) June 7, 2021
Arguably the match of the day is Stefanos Tsitsipas against Daniil Medvedev for a place in the semi-finals.
Medvedev has a 6-1 record against the Greek, though Tsitsipas has displayed a far better level on the clay coming into the French Open.
With exciting tennis and contrasting styles, the Australian Open twitter said ‘what kind of sorcery will we see this time?’.
It’s not too long until we find out!
What kind of sorcery are we going to see this time? ⚡️
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) June 8, 2021
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner