Matteo Berrettini battles past Taro Daniel at the French Open
No. 8 seed Matteo Berrettini fought past Taro Daniel in four sets to reach the second round of the 2021 French Open.
The Italian prevailed 6-0, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 against the world No. 113 in the opening round of Roland Garros.
Berrettini stormed though the opening set without losing a game in just 26 minutes – dropping just five points on serve and converting three of six break points.
The 25-year-old then broke for 4-3 en route to taking a more competitive second set – in which he lost only two points in his five service games.
Daniel responded strongly in the third set, though, and converted a first break point of the set to seal it as Berrettini served at 4-5, 15-40.
The world No. 9 survived an early break point in the fourth set, and broke the 28-year-old Japanese decisively to take a 3-2 lead.
Berrettini dropped only one point in his next three service games as he closed the match out emphatically.
The Italian will face world No. 94 Federico Coria in the second round.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner