‘I’m speechless’ – Maria Sakkari crushes Sofia Kenin to reach French Open quarter-finals
Maria Sakkari said she will “try to stay until the end” of the French Open after reaching her first major quarter-final with an emphatic win over Sofia Kenin.
The Greek defeated No. 4 seed Kenin – a 2020 Roland Garros finalist – 6-1, 6-3 in an hour and eight minutes in the fourth round.
The No. 17 seed broke three times in each set and dominated the 22-year-old American – who saved a match point to make a minor fightback from 6-1, 5-1 down.
“I’m speechless because it’s the first time [reaching a major quarter-final], it’s one of my favourite tournaments,” Sakkari said in her on-court interview.
“I love Paris, I’m having a great time. I don’t want to leave anytime soon. I will try my best to stay until the end [of the tournament] for sure.
Finish Line Found 🏁@mariasakkari is headed to her first Grand Slam quarter-final with a 6-1, 6-3 win over 2020 finalist Kenin in just over an hour.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 7, 2021
“I’m actually enjoying myself, that’s the most important thing. I’m enjoying my time on court. [Smiling] And I’m actually not torturing myself when I’m on court.”
The 25-year-old made 19 winners and 15 unforced errors, while winning 85% of her first serve points.
She will play either No. 8 seed and defending champion Iga Swiatek – or the unseeded Marta Kostyuk – in the last eight.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner