Lorenzo Musetti defeats David Goffin at French Open on Grand Slam debut
Lorenzo Musetti beat David Goffin in straight sets to reach the French Open second round in his first Grand Slam main draw match.
The 19-year-old triumphed 6-0, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) against the world No. 13 in the first round in Paris.
The world No. 76 took the opening set in just 30 minutes – winning 28 of 43 points played and after saving four break points.
Musetti then edged a much tighter second set after securing the only break at 5-5 – having saved a set point when serving at 4-5.
The Italian twice failed to serve out the match in the third set at 5-4 and 6-5, but closed it out with an impressive tiebreak where he did not drop a point on serve.
The unseeded ATP star was strong on serve in the match – making 71% of his first serves and winning 71% of the points when he did. He also won a decent 50% of points behind his second serve.
He saved six of the eight break points he faced, and won 47% of points played on the Belgian’s serve.
Musetti will face either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Yoshihito Nishioka in the second round.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner