‘Karolina Pliskova can beat anybody,’ Navratilova talks French Open dark horses
Karolina Pliskova can beat anybody when she is on form and has the ability to win the French Open, according to Martina Navratilova.
The 18-time Grand Slam champion discussed who she believes are the dark horses to lift the French Open and Karolina Pliskova was top of the list.
“When Karolina Pliskova is on, she can beat anybody, clearly. But it’s more difficult in a major because it’s seven matches. And if you’re off once, you aren’t going to win the title. She seems to be functioning a little better with [coach] Sascha Bajin, so we’ll see. You can’t count her out.”
Navratilova also believes Maria Sakkari and clay-court specialist Paula Badosa could also go deep in Paris.
“Maria Sakkari can upset anybody, but I don’t think she’s got the game to win quite yet. She puts in the miles, like Jen Brady. Put in the work, and the results will come.
“Paula Badosa. She’s been a surprise. I saw her a couple of years ago. I thought, ‘Boy, she’s got the game, she’s got the look – she’ll be a superstar if she starts winning.’ No pressure, confidence – it’s a great place to be.”
“Veronika Kudermetova. Same thing, really good athlete. Made her mark in doubles, and now she’s succeeding in singles as well. I like her potential. She could go a long way, maybe not quite yet here.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner