‘Iga Swiatek will win the French Open again,’ says Chris Evert
According to Chris Evert, reigning champion Iga Swiatek will successfully defend her French Open title in Paris next month.
In a recent interview, the American was asked for her five contenders for the upcoming French Open before picking who she believes will lift the title at Roland Garros.
“My three favourites that I think have the best chance of winning are Ash Barty, Iga Swiatek and Aryna Sabalenka,” said the Eurosport analyst and 18-time Grand Slam champion.
“I am looking at Serena and Coco Gauff as the outside chances. With Coco, everyone is saying she is the future but watching her the last few weeks she has arrived. She could pull off a few upsets especially if the draw opens up for her.
“Ash Barty has looked dominant. Until she pulled out due to injury she’s looked dominant on the clay.
“Sabalenka has been the most surprising to me. She has emerged as a new player. I never thought on clay that she would be as dominant and successful this soon but she’s harnessing her power she’s gained more control and more consistency in her strokes, she’s making better decisions.
“Iga, at the beginning of the clay court season I was thinking she might have sophomore blues, but she’s really played her way into top form now and she’s getting better and better.
“I see fire in her belly, I see hunger in her eyes, she is ready for the challenge. I will go out on a limb and pick Iga to win again.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner