French Open hit with spate of late withdrawals with former Wimbledon finalist heading the list
The French Open lost some more name value from their line-up just before the draw on Thursday, with Milos Raonic the stand-out figure.
Raonic has found it tough to get a steady run of tennis in recent years due to injury, but he looked like he was finding some rhythm again at the Western and Southern Masters just before the US Open.
However, he was a late withdrawal from Roland Garros without giving a reason.
The Canadian is, however, something of a hardcourt specialist – although he as also reached a Wimbledon final – and he has not played the French Open since 2017.
Former British number one Kyle Edmund has also withdrawn, apparently with an injury, as has Spanish veteran and clay court specialist Fernando Verdasco.
The French Open women’s draw has been hit once again with the withdrawal of world number 10 Belinda Bencic.
“I am very sad to not being able to play in Paris this year,” Bencic said.
“I am dealing with a right arm issue that prevent me from competing at 100% but I am working with my team to get it solved and be back competing as soon as possible.”
Bencic is the fourth player in the WTA top ten to pull out after world number one and defending champion Ashleigh Barty, US Open champion Naomi Osaka, and Bianca Andreescu.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner