‘I did the best preparation I could’ – Angelique Kerber baffled by French Open failure
Angelique Kerber said she was a little baffled after yet another failure at the French Open.
Kerber has won every Grand Slam other than Roland Garros, where she has now lost in the first found five times in her last six attempts.
The latest of those defeats came against Ukrainian qualifier Anhelina Kalinina, who eased to a 6-2, 6-4 success to end another French Open campaign for the German.
Afterwards, Kerber said she felt she did all she could to prepare well for the tournament, but all she can do now is look forward to the grass season.
“She started well and had nothing to lose, while it took me too long to get into the contest,” Kerber said.
“I will try to learn from the match now because I played good the last few weeks and I had good matches.
“I did the best preparation I could do in the last few weeks on clay, but yeah, it’s fine, and now I’m looking forward to Wimbledon for the grass court season, and it sounds much better for me, so I’m happy that the next Grand Slam is on grass.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner