Flawless Alexander Zverev vows to do ‘everything he can’ to win Australian Open
Alexander Zverev has vowed to do everything he can to win the Australian Open and lay the ghosts of New York to rest.
Zverev has looked in imperious form so far in Melbourne, and he defeated Adrian Mannarino 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 to underline his title credentials again in the third round.
And, after the match, he admitted there were some lingering ghosts from his US Open final defeat to Dominic Thiem last October that he needs overcome, and there is probably only one way he can do that.
“The US Open was one of the greatest moments of my career but also one of the toughest.
“I was two points away from winning my first Grand Slam so I still have that in my head.
“I’m going to do everything I can to make it happen here maybe.”
On the match itself, Zverev said: “[I’m] very happy. Adrian is someone I’ve played three times in the last year. Every time it was a very long match.
“I thought maybe I would hit the ball harder so we wouldn’t have to play for four hours so you guys don’t have to sit in the sun so all good.
“I know today is the last day we may play with a crowd. I hope Wednesday or Thursday it gets better. It’s been fun.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner