Five things to know about Lloyd Harris ahead of his first ATP 500 final
Lloyd Harris is set to make his first appearance at an ATP tour level final in Dubai as he takes on fellow final debutant Aslan Karatsev.
Tennishead looks at five things you should know about the 24-year-old South African.
1) Harris started playing tennis at the age of three
Harris began his career at the age of three and represented South Africa at the Youth Olympics in his last year as a junior in 2014. A year later, Harris emerged on the ITF tour, winning four ITF Futures tour singles events.
2) The South African played multiple sports
Lloyd Harris grew up in a tennis home in which both of his parents and his sister, Monique, played tennis.
The South African played several other sports including rugby, cricket, athletics and swimming, which kept him from dedicating himself solely to tennis until he was 15 or 16.
3) Harris idolises Swiss duo
Growing up, Harris looked up to Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka. In 2019, Harris took the first set off Federer at Wimbledon before losing in four sets. Recently, the 20-time Grand Slam champion praised the South African after his match against Rafael Nadal, describing him as a great guy with a big game.
4) Harris enjoys football and motorsport
During Harris’ impressive showing in Adelaide in 2020, he spoke about his love for Tottenham Hotspur.
He said: “I took a big liking to some of Tottenham’s players. Heung-min Son, Harry Kane probably my favourites. Then I just started supporting them. Got the shirt, got everything that goes with it. Now I’m a diehard fan, for sure.”
Harris also enjoys cars and his favourite movie is Fast and the Furious. The 24-year-old, whose nickname is “King”, also likes music and spending time with family and friends.
5) The South African is starting to win big
Harris earned his first Top 5 win of his career against Dominic Thiem in Dubai, ending his 0-4 run against Top 10 opposition.
Last week, Harris claimed his maiden Top 20 victory against Stan Wawrinka in a mammoth 2 hour and 41 minute victory in Doha.
“Stan was my idol growing up, so just to play against him was incredible,” said Harris. “I was as determined as I could be, really pumped to play.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner